Gear up right. Get a custom mouthguard.
“The Academy for Sport Dentistry recommends the use of a properly fitted mouthguard. It encourages the use of a custom fabricated mouthguard made over a dental cast and delivered under the supervision of a dentist.”
Without a mouthguard, you risk far more that just chipping a tooth.
- Gum Tissue
- Supporting Bone Structure.
Not only do you need a mouthguard, but you need your own mouthguard, custom made by your dentist, and you don’t have to break the blank to get one. Here are just a few on the benefits to a custom mouthguard made to fit your teeth and only your teeth:
- The fit is precise, with very little distortion, and also covers teeth at the back of your mouth.
- Custom mouthguards have the greatest durability and allow you to sustain the hardest impact with lower risk of damage, and they’ll be the most comfortable for you.
- Your mouthguard will fit snugly, protecting your teeth, gum tissue and supporting bone, and won’t fall out.
- Your dentist can ensure that your mouthguard is the correct thickness, unlike “boil-and-bite” products off the shelf.
- There is almost no interference with speck or breathing.
Don’t want to bother with a custom mouthguard? Think about the drawbacks of off-the-shelf mouthguards before finalizing your decision:
- The fit is not exact and not comfortable
- The material used is normally thinner that is recommended to provide the best protection
- Off-the-shelf products offer minimal protection for the gums and supporting bone
- They often fall out and can become lodged in your throat
- Non-custom products are less durable
Talk to your dentist today about the procedure and cost of a custom made mouthguard, and give your teeth a fighting chance while you compete!
Q. When you’re about to take an elbow to the face from that 6’2” point guard, what would you rather have? A custom mouthguard with the preferred 3mm of material? or one off the shelf that you can’t guarantee is thick enough?
A.You want to keep your teeth.
Q. Do you like being able to breathe properly when you compete?
A. Of course you do. That’s why you need a custom mouthguard, A recent study of over 500 rugby players revealed a significant number had trouble breathing while using off-the-shelf mouthguard.